How to avoid being a victim of car theft
According to the Office for National Statistics, there were almost 358,000 reported thefts from or of a car in 2014 alone. Since then the number of cars being stolen has risen by 30 percent!
This is staggering, your car is a valuable asset to any family and you should feel safe when leaving it.
Here are a few simple tips to help avoid it.
- Check it’s locked, and check again. Sounds obvious but it is important
- Park in the right place, check the area and if you don’t feel safe there then your car probably isn’t safe either.
- Hide your belongings. Don’t make your car into a shop window!
- Add to your security equipment. If your car didn’t come with an immobiliser or alarm you can always add it yourselves.
- Use the security features your car has. A lot of modern car’s offer a wide range of features such as ‘automatically lock on pull off’. They are here for a reason…use them.
- Think about where you keep your keys.
- Keep an eye on your number plate…this one may sound a bit strange but criminals are stealing number plates and using them for It can get you in a lot of trouble if not reported right away.
- Never leave your car running unattended!